Organizations and Initiatives in Michigan:
- United Cerebral Palsy of Metropolitan Detroit http://www.ucpdetroit.org/about Southeast Michigan’s source for information & referral and services(i.e. build ramps for independence) for individuals with disabilities, their families and friends. They work to advance the independence of all people with any physical, mental or emotional limitation that society calls a "disability" and to secure their right to self-determination and inclusion.
- Disability Benefits 101 www.mi.db101.org Young people with disabilities can use the School and Work Calculator to find out how a job can affect their cash benefits and health coverage - and how staying in school can help.
iPads/iPods to meet the assistive technology needs of students:
- Apps for Children with Special Needs http://a4cwsn.com
- List of iPad apps for ASD: http://autismandtheipad.blogspot.com
- Free iPad Apps:
- Talk Notes
- Note Pad
- Ultimate To Do List
Organizations related to assistive technology:
- Learning Ally http://learningally.org (previously known as Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic) a non-profit, volunteer organization operating nationwide. It produces and maintains a library of educational audiobooks to people who cannot effectively read standard print because of visual impairment, dyslexia or other disability.
- Michigan’s Integrated Technology Services (MITS) http://mits.cenmi.org statewide project focusing on assistive technology.
- www.SparkNotes.com: Provides chapter summaries/quizzes for novels. Similar to Cliff Notes.
- www.usevisualstrategies.com: This site has pictures to download and lots of resources.
- www.mayerjohnson.com: Check out this site to find out more about Boardmaker and other resources.
- www.images.google.com: This site literally has thousands of pictures you can access.
- www.tinsnips.org: This site has some simple picture recipes.
- www.teacch.com: This site has tons of information on autism and related issues, including structured work tasks.
- www.pecs.com: This site explains the Picture Exchange Communication System by Bondy and Frost.
- www.tonyattwood.com and www.aspie.com: Check out these sites to find out more about Autism and Asperger Syndrome.
- www.autism-mi.org: For more information on autism and resources related to autism.
- www.pbis.org: Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports